[openstack-dev] blueprint proposal nova-compute fencing for HA ?

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Mon Apr 22 17:02:45 UTC 2013

On 04/22/2013 08:09 AM, Leen Besselink wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I have not been at the summit and the technical videos of the Summit are not yet online I am not aware of what was discusses there.
>
> But I would like to submit a blueprint.
>
> My idea is:
>
> It is a step to support VM High availability.
>
> This part is about handling compute node failure.
>
> My proposal would be to create a framework/API/plugin/agent or whatever is needed for fencing off a nova-compute node.

> The implementation of the code that handles the fencing could be implemented in different ways for different environments:
>
> - The IPMI-code that handle baremetal provisining could for example be used to poweroff or reboot the node.

Hi,

This sounds familiar :)  These have been integrated in to several
projects, including Pacemaker and oVirt:

https://git.fedorahosted.org/git/fence-agents.git

There's a standalone API that they follow which simply takes stdin
parameter=value assignments.

These agents call out to IPMI, iLO, DRAC, RSA, and other integrated
hardware as well as external power switches for controlling host power.

Many of them are written in python (or C) and should require minimal if
anything more than what OpenStack already requires.

-- Lon