[openstack-dev] core contributor vs reviewer (was: [keystone] Proposal to add Andy Smith to keystone core)

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 18:04:18 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/22/2013 12:22 PM, Dolph Mathews wrote:
> > After spending some time on other projects, termie is back and
> > contributing to keystone once more. For those that don't know him, he
> > rearchitected & rewrote keystone's implementation during essex into what
> > it is today. I'd be happy to see him rejoin the list of core
> > contributors for Havana.
> >
> > Reviews: https://review.openstack.org/#/q/reviewer:termie,n,z
> > Contributions: https://review.openstack.org/#/q/owner:termie,n,z
> >
> > He's also working on an OAuth 1.0a extension for Havana.
> >
> > Comments, +1's and termie-esque -2's appreciated within the week.
>
> +1 fwiw, but this triggered another set of thoughts I wanted to bring up
>
> I'd like to see us all try to speak about the core teams as review teams
> as opposed to recognition of being an important contributor.

+10; I wouldn't recommend someone for core if I didn't trust their ability
to review code with a knowledgable eye towards maintaining stability,
backwards compatibility, test coverage, user experience, dev-friendliness,
etc.

Having a history of great contributions is merely a bonus that reflects
their knowledge of the code base.

Ultimately, "core contributor" to me simply means that this person's
downvotes on code reviews are consistently well thought out and meaningful,
such that an upvote by the same person shows a lot of confidence in the
patch.