[openstack-dev] [Heat] Future Vision for Heat

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Wed Apr 17 18:56:04 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 01:37:15PM -0700, Alex Heneveld wrote:

> very useful summary.  thanks adrian for this and thanks all for the
> great discussion yesterday.  a few comments:
>
> (1) @doug, @thomas:  +1.  while it would be possible for external
> servers to understand different models and call REST using a native
> dsl, it should also be possible to support multiple model
> interpreters as part of the big blue box.  that would seem better
> for the "legacy" CFN  :) and the new DSL (eg YAML) and/or possibly
> TOSCA XML (or a lite version thereof!).

As mentioned elsewhere, I don't think supporting multiple model
interpreters internally will be helpful in the short/medium term, the
maintenance burden will be too high IMO.  We should concentrate on
definining a superset language which is expressive enough that other
formats people require can be trivially converted either at, or ideally
above the API level.

> (2) should the workflow service and the scheduler be more closely
> integrated, or even the same?  feels like whatever heat does for its
> orchestration would want the same task management, scheduling,
> locking, etc that imperative plans/workflow included as part of a
> heat blueprint would want.
>
> (3) @debojyoti:  +1.  i'd really like to see support for nested /
> hierarchical components or typed relationships.  this gives a nice
> solution to services/tiers/pools/autoscaling-groups going up one
> level but you could go higher too.  it makes it composable which
> becomes very powerful (one of the best features of TOSCA imho).  i
> look forward to the curvature talk (and a visio-style gui for
> heat!!).

Note we do already support nested/composed stacks - is there some other
concept or functionality you'd like to see in addition to this?

> finally -- (4) -- is there any interest in continuing the discussion
> while so many of us are here?
>
> i have heard rumours of extra rooms available for the asking.

I'll see if I can find some meeting space - main challenge is everyone has
pretty packed schedules with all the other sessions that are going on.

I'd definitely like to spend some time white-boarding this and making sure
we have the vocabulary and concept-mapping side of things agreed.

Steve