[openstack-dev] Grizzly's out - let the numbers begin...

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Apr 10 08:59:32 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-04-09 at 18:42 -0700, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
> On Apr 9, 2013, at 3:02 PM, Daniel Izquierdo <dizquierdo at bitergia.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Vish,
> >
> > On 04/09/2013 05:47 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
> >> Any insight into how the number of closed tickets were generated? I just checked my stats for grizzly and noticed that I fixed 38 bugs in nova alone[1]. Counting all projects (it is a little harder to find results for the python-*clients since we don't have coordinated releases) it is somewhere around 45, yet our company only has 34 listed for the entire release. There is clearly some error in the tickect closing statistics.
> >
> > We already had a small discussion with other OpenStack members about how to measure activity. What we're measuring when talking about tickets are those whose final stage is "Fix Committed".
> >
> > At the beginning, we considered other stages as "final" ones such as "Fix Released" or "Won't Fix", however Thierry appeared to have an incredible high number of "closed" tickets for that definition. So, what you can see (as specified in [1]) is the number of closed bugs with the condition of being in the "Fix Committed" stage (only that).
>
> The act of "closing" as in changing the state of the bug is relatively meaningless. Jenkins sets fix committed is most cases and the release manager or jenkins sets fix released. It makes a lot more sense to use the assignee of the bug. That is the person that did the actual work.

Agree, and that's what my stats show:

https://github.com/markmc/openstack-gitdm/blob/results/grizzly/lp-stats.txt

However, the large number of fixes by "Unknown hacker" show that e.g.
the assignee field wasn't always set or I didn't have a mapping of the
assignee's LP account to an email address.

Cheers,
Mark.