[openstack-dev] Discussions of an open format support in HEAT

Steve Baker sbaker at redhat.com
Sun Apr 7 22:10:01 UTC 2013

On 04/05/2013 11:54 PM, Thomas Spatzier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> there have been several discussions around support for an "open format" in
> Heat recently. For example, some were triggered by Rackspace's recent
> announcement (there has been a long thread on the mailing list, where this
> was one of the topics).
>
> We recently also posted a BP proposal to consider OASIS TOSCA as an option
> for that "open format", and there has been some discussion on that BP.
> Clint Byrum suggested we take this discussion to the mailing list, which is
> the better place for it, so here we are.
>
> Here is a link to the BP:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/tosca-support
>
> Would be interesting to get some discussion going, and maybe also get the
> right folks together for some discussion at the upcoming summit.
In the blueprint Zane suggested creating a standalone tool to translate
TOSCA to a Heat template.  This seems like an ideal way of starting this
effort for the following reasons:
- The approach can be validated with extensive self-contained unit tests
- It will reveal the features that need to be added to Heat
- As Zane said, Cloudformation support for free
- When it is possible, the same code can be extended to be a pluggable
parser that runs on the server

cheers