[openstack-dev] Discussions of an open format support in HEAT

Thomas Spatzier thomas.spatzier at de.ibm.com
Fri Apr 5 10:54:51 UTC 2013

Hi all,

there have been several discussions around support for an "open format" in
Heat recently. For example, some were triggered by Rackspace's recent
announcement (there has been a long thread on the mailing list, where this
was one of the topics).

We recently also posted a BP proposal to consider OASIS TOSCA as an option
for that "open format", and there has been some discussion on that BP.
Clint Byrum suggested we take this discussion to the mailing list, which is
the better place for it, so here we are.

Here is a link to the BP:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/tosca-support

Would be interesting to get some discussion going, and maybe also get the
right folks together for some discussion at the upcoming summit.

One thing I read in another thread was the option of having multiple
pluggable "parsers" in Heat, which could be one way of bringing in support
for another format, which sounded quite intersting to me.

Regards,
Thomas