[openstack-dev] [SUMMIT] Live streaming from Design sessions

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Mon Apr 1 18:59:01 UTC 2013

On 1 April 2013 12:33, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> I agree that it's generally easy to hook in a couple key remote
> participants to a given session -- as long as the physical participants
> specifically know about them, take them into account and include them in
> the discussion. On the other end, it's difficult to take into account a
> potential, silent crowd of lurkers: the quality of the resulting
> experience for random bystanders listening to the audio feed ends up
> being, due to the highly dynamic format of the Design Summit sessions,
> quite disappointing.

I suggest we make use of the etherpads, since they're the one place where
people are bound to be looking during a session.  Can we set them all up
beforehand with a section for remote attendees to register their interest,
and another one for them to add any questions they think of during the
session?  Anyone watching the etherpad in the session can ask the questions
by proxy and summarise the results, which means even if the audio's dire we
should be able to achieve something.  (Speaking as a regular remote
attendee, it's very difficult to join into a remote discussion with a
roomful of people at the other end - the lag means you can never get a word
in edgeways.)

> Focusing on good video coverage of the Summit presentations sounds like
> a more effective use of our AV resources.

I'm sure we can jury rig a solution for the sessions where it matters, even
if it's only hooking the speaker's mobile phone into a webex.  From what
you two are saying, it sounds like having a production crew didn't actually
add much value over a jury rigged solution anyway.  (The main thing we'd
lose is comments from the floor, but as I recall the audience mic was only
where it was needed about half of the time anyway.)
--
Ian.