[openstack-dev] [heat-api] Proposed heat watch/monitoring architectural changes

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Mon Sep 24 13:35:47 UTC 2012

> [...]
> ensure we
> have a proper discussion with the whole team and any community
> members
> who may be able to contribute ideas, before I proceed with what will
> be
> fairly major rework.
>
> I know that asalkeld was in discussion with the ceilometer project re
> merging some of these features into ceilometer, my understanding is
> that
> this is unlikely in the short/medium term, hence the proposed changes
> below, please advise if anyone knows different :)
>
> The aim of this rework is as follows:
> - Provide a better/more-complete Cloudwatch API implementation
> - Provide an openstack specific ReST API to the Cloudwatch features
> and
>   data
> - Separate ochestration (stack+resource management) from monitoring
>   (metrics+alarms), aim is to simplify the code, and to provide
>   better
>   scalability and performance
> - Replace the current metadata server, since it combines
>   resource-metadata and monitoring, and does not authenticate client
>   connections
>
> The proposed changes are illustrated in the following diagram:
> https://github.com/hardys/diagrams/blob/master/PNG/architecture-overview.png
>
> Compare with our current architecture diagram:
> https://github.com/heat-api/diagrams/blob/master/PNG/architecture-overview.png
>
> Summary of proposed changes:
> - Move resource metadata features of the current metadata-server API
> into
>   the new heat ReST API
> - Modify our cfn-hup implementation to retrieve metadata from the
> heat
>   ReST API
> - Modify our cfn-signal implementation to send WaitCondition metadata
>   the heat ReST API, longer term it may be better if the
>   WaitCondition
>   implementation is modified to use a Watch rule instead of writing
>   the
>   resource metadata.
> - Move the metric and alarm/watch features of the metadata server
> into
>   the Watch API (we already have a Cloudwatch compatible API  which
>   supports this functionality, medium term perhaps using the proposed
>   new
>   Watch ReST API would be better)
> - Modify our cfn-push-stats implementation to send data to the Watch
> API
> - Separate out the metric/watch/alarm heat-engine features into a new
>   process/daemon ("Watch Engine" in the diagram)
> - Separate the current watch_rule and watch_data tables from the main
>   heat DB into a watch-specific separarate DB
> - Rework the watch DB schema, as it's currently non-ideal, and
> doesn't
>   allow us to store event transitions/history which is required for a

Hi Steve,

This proposed separation is much better than deeply embedding
the CloudWatch API implementation within Heat.

However, since metrics collection & alarming have much wider
applicability than their use within orchestration, would it
make sense to go one step further and hive off the CW/CWA-
related logic into a completely separate infrastructure that
could be independently deployed and be developed in parallel
with the Heat project?

Cheers,
Eoghan