[openstack-dev] Island: Local Storage Volume Support for Cinder

Rongze Zhu zrzhit at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 16:03:10 UTC 2012

Thank your suggestions!

1. You are right, it just requires basic Posix filesystems APIs + Linux
xattrs.
But you know that naming is very hard, so I temporarily name it to 'ext4'.
In
the future, I will give it a new name.

2. I am not familiar with md5 and sha1, but md5 is only used for checksum,
why
it is a bit dangerous? I'm confused :)

3. If qcow3 format is comming, I also need to implement qcow3 python
library.
I only read snapshot data and metadata from image, qemu concurrent I/O will
not
modify snapshot data and metadata, so it is consistency.

4. I agree with you, it is best that we can export snapshot data and
metadata from image by monitor command.

2012/10/31 hch at infradead.org <hch at infradead.org>

> Nice work!
>
> Some comments:
>
> I think the ext4 object backend should be renamed to 'Linux', as it just
> requires basic Posix filesystems APIs + Linux xattrs.  In fact if it
> used and abstraction for the attributes it could easily support all
> modern Unix systems.
>
> Also md5 seems a bit dangerous for an identity hash, I'd suggest to
> use sha1 at least.
>
> One thing I am a bit concerned about is the direct manipulation of the
> qcow2 on disk format directly from cinder.  How does this cope with
> updates to the format, e.g. from the qcow3 updates?  Also how does it
> synchronize with concurrent I/O from qemu?
>
> I'd love to see this functionality added directly to qemu an exposed
> through the monitor.

Rongze Zhu - 朱荣泽
Twitter:     @metaxen
Blog:        http://blog.csdn.net/metaxen