[openstack-dev] _() consensus??

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Fri Nov 30 01:09:40 UTC 2012

Seems like part of it is error lookup and that most people (I believe)
that are looking at log files know some english? And when using
google/yahoo/bing its easier to find related problems that others have had
if there isn't variations of the error/log message that can't be found by
search engines (there translation/cross language features are still subpar
and will likely be for years to come).

I'm not quite sure what is the argument for making them translatable,
besides someone just thought it should be done and there was backing
evidence that it is useful and worth the effort (is there this?). It is
pretty unique to me in that I don't know many other projects that do this
(things that show up to the user are usually where this type of
translation occurs, log messages don't seem to be in this category).

Fine that a PTL or other says it should be, but not so fine imho if that
isn't given a good reason besides 'cause'. Maybe no need for a vote, but
at least described reason so others can just say 'oh ya, that¹s why we
made that decision and are sticking with it'.

:-)