[openstack-dev] _() consensus??

Sean Dague sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Nov 29 20:06:14 UTC 2012

On 11/29/2012 02:05 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was just remembering a code review recently
> (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/15394/) where it was brought up by me
> about how it'd be nice to finally get around to having some type of vote
> or official decision about using I8LN for LOG messages.
>
> Is there any type of agreed upon system for doing this (say restricting
> the allowed vote to openstack commiters?) Is it possible to re-use the
> election voting system for this purpose?
>
> Seems like this kind of vote could be used for other cross-purpose
> coding decisions as well where everyone should get an input.
>
> For further background on this whole discussion (so we can avoid
> repeating it yet again).
>
>  1. http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openstack/dev/11821?search_string=i18n%20of%20log%20message;#11821
>  2. http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openstack/dev/7764?search_string=i18n%20of%20log%20message
>
> Seems like reviews like the above would not be 'abandoned' if we had
> some official consensus on the path forward.

So, since then, I think a follow up review did go through with the same
effect - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/16414/

At this point, log messages are basically all translated. There was
never an official decision either way as far as I can remember, but
their is now defacto precedence that they are.

So we should either declare that to be the official stance (which would
be basically, accept the status quo), or someone should write a patch
that reverts them all to untranslated.

Once a decision is made either way, we should probably put in a gating
job to enforce the behavior we want so that we don't end up with things
landing or getting kicked because of the day of the week they get
submitted. :-)

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague