[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] Monitoring Physical Devices

JC Martin jcmartin at ebaysf.com
Tue Nov 20 19:03:21 UTC 2012

I believe that it's critical for openstack to manage physical hardware,
even more so than VM. The VM management is the responsibility of the
tenant, and can be achieved from the VM, through some external services.
Openstack can provide VM performance management but I believe that it's
not core. On the other end, it should be the primary responsibility of
openstack to make sure that its infrastructure is healthy. This includes :
   - Monitoring Hypervisor helath, capacity, performance
   - Predicting and repairing Hardware failures (e.g. Disk SMART)
   - Recovering VMs from failed hardware

This, in the order on importance. This would also include the monitoring
and management of the associated components (nova scheduler, APIs, ...)

Thanks,

JC