[openstack-dev] [nova][ceilometer] model for ceilo/nova interaction going forward

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Thu Nov 15 12:13:07 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 6:44 AM, Jiang, Yunhong <yunhong.jiang at intel.com>wrote:

> > > But is Nova ready to import (optionnaly) some ceilometer code?
> >
> > So there appears to be some support from the ceilo side emerging
> > for option #4, and you've hit the nail on the head there with that
> > final question ...
> >
> > Would the nova project be happy to accept:
> >
> >  (a) the ceilo compute agent repackaged as nova-compute-metering
> >

> I think put the whole ceilometer-compute-agent, including data collection,
> i.e. pollster, multiple publisher, data translation, publisher, into nova
> is a bit overload IMHO. I'd suggest nova to only collect raw data as
> mentioned in another mail, and have Ceilometer handle the multiple
> publisher, translation etc.
>
> The lag of RPC does not matter, the lag of data collection caused by nova
> overload matters. I think that's the reason of the daemon proposed.

This is where I was starting, too, although I'm not sure it supports all of
our use cases for monitoring.

We've shown that we can meter without tight integration, but I don't think
we're going to get effective monitoring without tighter integration between
the projects. Nova has access to the data while ceilometer knows how often
it needs to be collected and where it needs to go.

Doug