[openstack-dev] [nova][ceilometer] model for ceilo/nova interaction going forward

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Thu Nov 15 12:08:53 UTC 2012

> > 5. nova packages a consumable library layered over the hypervisor
> >    driver, that just exposes the diagnostics available from libvirt
> >    et al. The ceilo compute agent continues to exist under the
> >    ceilo
> >    umbrella, but talks to the hypervisor directly via this stable,
> >    versioned nova library.
> >
> >    + no remote calls required from ceilo-->nova-{api|compute}
> >    - needs an independent versioning scheme
> >    - still stuck in the "implicit trust" model?
>
> I think this is similar to my above statement, the only difference is
> the direction, and I think you still need remove call, otherwise,
> what will be the communication channel?

Well I guess there would still be IPC in the form of say interaction
with libvirtd under the covers, but not RPC in the sense of calls into
the nova REST APIs or via the AMQP RPC conduit.

(Then in the ceilo agent we could also need remote calls to publish
these data, but that's not the focus of this discussion).

Cheers,
Eoghan