[openstack-dev] The future of Incubation and Core - a motion

heckj heckj at mac.com
Wed Nov 14 21:28:40 UTC 2012

On Nov 14, 2012, at 6:37 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:
>  The concepts of "what is core" and "what is in OpenStack" have been
>  conflated until now. The TC cares far more about the process for new
>  projects to be included in the coordinated release than it cares about
>  which projects are required to be used by providers in order to access
>  the trademark.
>
>  We would like to take an inclusive but measured approach to accepting
>  new OpenStack projects. We should evaluate any given proposed project
>  on a well defined set of criteria like whether it embraces our values
>  and processes, is useful to OpenStack users, well integrated with
>  other projects and represents a sensible broadening of the scope of
>  OpenStack.
>
>  We see Incubation as a trial period where promising projects have the
>  opportunity to demonstrate their suitability for inclusion in our
>  coordinated releases.
>
>  We see the term "Core OpenStack Project" in section 4.1.b of the
>  bylaws as being solely related to trademark guidelines. The Foundation
>  should simply maintain a list of projects required for trademark
>  usage. We would be happy for that list to be called "Core Projects"
>  or for a new name to be chosen to describe that list.

I'm very much in favor of asking the board of directors define Core as a category independent of incubation and calling something an "openstack project". I'd prefer not to drive the labels into the bylaws unless we absolutely must.

For me, the incubation process leading to becoming an "OpenStack Project" (since I feel like I need some handle to group those various projects together) is about our release process, our integration, and as a combined set of projects the idea of providing support in terms of backports, alignment on supported libraries, and most importantly to me, a high consideration and bias towards interoperability between the services.

I would be happy to even loose the notion of a "core project" as I had a fairly diverse view of core, and wether we formally acknowledge it in paperwork, the CI, Docs, etc projects have been an integral part of our coordinated release for some time.

- joe