[openstack-dev] [nova] metadata versioning

Sean Dague sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Nov 8 13:19:15 UTC 2012

A discussion arose in the following review -
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/14550/ which I think needs some broader
discussion so we at least are all on the same page.

We now have openstack specific metadata in the system. The first piece
was versioned like the ec2 metadata, with the date when it was added
(2012-08-10). There is now a second proposed piece, with a proposed
metadata version of 2013-04-04.

We've started getting into the habbit of versioning lots of things at a
git commit level, so that running on trunk is actually something folks
can do. RPC versioning bumps many times in the middle of a development
series, for instance.

It seems to me that we should be trying to apply this standard as much
as possible. Which would mean that we'd want this change to come in with
a metadata version that looks more like 2012-11-08, not just versioning
on release boundaries, but inherently versioning in the code when
changes happen. This is towards the goal of the code always being in a
releasable state.

I'll let Scott or someone else put forward the alternative point of
view, as this does add some extra to config drive.

Regardless of the agreement, this seems like it's something we should
have a pretty standard approach on so that reviews in the future can be
consistent here.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague