[openstack-dev] API Bindings in C or C++

James Kelly jamesk at juniper.net
Sun Nov 4 20:16:10 UTC 2012

Does anyone know of an OpenStack API binding in C or C++ ?

According to pages like this one: http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-object-storage/admin/content/language-specific-api-bindings.html it doesn't exist. I don't want to believe no one has done this work yet :P

I need to make some remote nova (and probably more) API calls from my main program written in C. Ideally I would import/link to a library of APIs that implement the client side of the RESTful calls. In the absence of this there are some options I have thought of and heard at my local SF(South)BayArea meetup, but all of these are quite a bit of work:

1.       Call the python clients as system calls from my program. (Okay for a proof of concept but not scalable).

2.       Use libcurl to make HTTP client calls with the appropriate REST. (Okay for a proof of concept but not scalable).

3.       Embed<http://docs.python.org/2/extending/embedding.html> a python interpreter into my C program and call the python client. Seems reasonable but quite a bit of work to translate data to/from python.

I'm really hoping for some good news otherwise I need to start hacking at #3. If anyone has done any of these 3 or has the library I need. I would appreciate sample code too.

If you have any other good options, let me know.

Thank you kindly,
-James Kelly