[openstack-dev] [nova] proposal: nova IRC meeting

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jul 26 10:37:43 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 11:21:44AM +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-07-25 at 10:07 -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> > I think it would be really good to get a weekly nova IRC meeting spun
> > up, run by the nova PTL, much like some of the newer openstack projects
> > have.
> >
> > It would be a place for people working on blueprints and bugs to check
> > in (letting others no where they could use help), and give the PTL a
> > chance to bring up his/her hottest issues they would like worked. It
> > might also be a good place to get nova core people aware of reviews that
> > are languishing (I think the current model of "harass core reviewers
> > until they break down and take time to look at your patch" isn't really
> > scalable. :) )  And it would give new folks a chance to learn the
> > culture of the team, and get them integrated.
>
> Yeah, I think it would be a good idea. I'd like to more discussion
> between nova-core folks on blueprints, reviews and bugs.

I think that would be good too, from the POV of making the community
more generally inclusive. AFAICT, blueprints are pretty much only
discussed in depth at the Summits, which excludes a significant portion
of the community from giving feedback, since not everyone involved is
able to travel to all the summit(s). IRC & mailing lists are both nicely
inclusive ways of enabling contribution from anyone in the community.

Also from my POV, the couple of blueprints I've filed have both been
for things that I've been able to implement within a matter of weeks,
so having a frequently scheduled slot at which we can discuss blueprints
would be useful to get fast feedback on new proposals.

The main issue with IRC meetings is that of choosing a time to hold
the meeting which suits all possible timezones. This is basically
an impossible task. So either we have to choose one fixed time
to use every week, which usually ends up being a US centric time,
to the detriment of people in Asia. Alternatively, perhaps pick 2
or 3 times (no more or its hard to remember), and cycle between
them on a weekly basis, so each time a different set of people
are annoyed :-)

Regards,
Daniel