[openstack-dev] nova-network ... grizzly intentions

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Tue Dec 11 21:50:17 UTC 2012

Hi Andi,

Nova-network will continue to be fully supported in Grizzly.  If it becomes
clear that Grizzly Quantum fully replicates some aspects of
nova-networking, the Nova team may decide to deprecate/remove such
functionality in the H-release.

To minimize the chance of people being left in the lurch, the plan is to be
conservative and feature-freeze nova-network without removing it.  The
result is a model where you can stick with basic nova-networking if it is
sufficient for your use case, but if you need more advanced things, you
need to switch to Quantum, rather than trying to cram that feature into
nova-network.

Dan

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM, andi abes <andi.abes at gmail.com> wrote:

> k.. so the state of the world as of 11/1 :
>  http://www.mail-archive.com/openstack@lists.launchpad.net/msg17911.html
>

> There has been no final decision on whether some or all parts of
> nova-network will be removed.  It will not happen in Grizzly.  While
> Quantum can do many things that nova-network cannot, there are still some
> use cases that nova-network can do but Quantum cannot.  In Grizzly we're
> working to handle these.  Assuming that is achieved, we might consider
> removing/deprecating some aspects of nova-network in favor of Quantum.  At
> this point, nova-network is frozen in terms of new features, so the cost of
> maintaining it is relatively low.
>
> Dan
>

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Doink, sorry, thought you said nova-manage, not nova-network!
>>
>> Please ignore!
>> -jay
>>
>> On 12/11/2012 01:28 AM, Matt Joyce wrote:
>> > A very interesting question.
>> >
>> > -Matt
>> >
>> > On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 11:22 AM, andi abes <andi.abes at gmail.com
>> > <mailto:andi.abes at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     I'm in the process of planning some work on grizzly, and wanted to
>> >     double check: is nova-network on the deprecation list in grizzly, in
>> >     favor of Quantum?

Dan Wendlandt
Nicira, Inc: www.nicira.com
twitter: danwendlandt