[legal-discuss] Hosting a non-official GPLv3 OpenStack project

David Moreau Simard dms at redhat.com
Mon Jul 24 15:56:36 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm the author of ARA [1] which is not an official OpenStack project:
- It is not governed by the OpenStack foundation or the technical committee
- It does not require the OpenStack CLA/ICLA for contributions
- It is not a deliverable of any OpenStack project

For me, ARA falls in the same category of software that was created by
the OpenStack community as Jenkins Job Builder [2] and git-review [3].
>From the licensing requirements documentation [4]:
> Projects run as part of the OpenStack Infrastructure (in order to produce OpenStack software) may be licensed under any OSI-approved license.
> This includes tools that are run with or on OpenStack projects only during validation or testing phases of development (e.g., a source code linter).

It would likely fit in what was previously known as "stackforge".

While ARA is currently labelled with an Apache 2.0 license, some
components of it are coupled to Ansible which is GPLv3.
For the purpose of simplicity and avoid headaches around dual
licensing (worry about what we are importing where, etc.), I am
currently considering re-licensing ARA as GPLv3.

Doing this re-licensing now rather than later is desirable before ARA
gets too many contributors from different companies which may
complicate a re-licensing.

My question is the following:
Would this re-licensing mean that ARA could no longer be hosted by the
OpenStack community infrastructure ?
What are other ramifications I might be missing ?

Thanks,

[1]: https://gihtub.com/openstack/ara
[2]: https://github.com/openstack-infra/jenkins-job-builder
[3]: https://github.com/openstack-infra/git-review