[legal-discuss] GPLv2 dependency in puppet-neutron?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Jul 11 13:34:13 UTC 2017

ZZelle wrote:
> While working on puppet-neutron, i discovered that puppet-neutron
> depends on the sysctl puppet module[1] which is GPLv2 (be careful to not
> confuse it with another sysctl module[2] which is apache2). This
> dependency has been added a long time ago (in juno or before).
>
> It seems we have a license issue (ie: apache2 code depends on GPLv2 code)?

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd agree that this may be a problem. Do Puppet
module "dependencies" count as libraries / derivative work ?

In the past, we addressed almost-similar issues, where GPL-licensed
Puppet modules were included in an otherwise-Apache licensed package,
but that was a direct inclusion of code, not a Puppet runtime module
dependency.

If that was indeed an issue, what would be our technical options ? Is
puppet-neutron the only module affected ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)