[legal-discuss] [tc][kolla] Ansible module with GPLv3

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Mon Nov 7 16:27:37 UTC 2016

Comon Zane you know I make stuff up and I don’t know everything ☺  That’s why we have you for fact checking. ☺

Regards
-steve

From: Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com>
Date: Monday, November 7, 2016 at 7:47 AM
To: "legal-discuss at lists.openstack.org" <legal-discuss at lists.openstack.org>
Subject: Re: [legal-discuss] [tc][kolla] Ansible module with GPLv3

On 04/11/16 18:15, Steven Dake (stdake) wrote:
I **speculate** (definitely not  an attorneyJ the rationale for this is
that pretty much everything implemented in Linux is tainted by a GPLv2
or GPLv3 license because of a transitive dependency on kernel.org,
glibc, kernel headers, gcc, libpython, and pretty much the whole
operating system on which OpenStack runs.

Getting off topic here, but for the record:

* The kernel license explicitly disclaims that userspace programs are
derivative works:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/COPYING#n2

* glibc is LGPL, so unless you statically link to libc (which ~nobody
does) then there isn't an issue:
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=blob;f=COPYING.LIB

* Python is not GPL at all:
https://docs.python.org/3/license.html#psf-license-agreement-for-python-release