[legal-discuss] [tc][kolla] Ansible module with GPLv3

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Mon Nov 7 14:47:42 UTC 2016

On 04/11/16 18:15, Steven Dake (stdake) wrote:
> I **speculate** (definitely not  an attorneyJ the rationale for this is
> that pretty much everything implemented in Linux is tainted by a GPLv2
> or GPLv3 license because of a transitive dependency on kernel.org,
> glibc, kernel headers, gcc, libpython, and pretty much the whole
> operating system on which OpenStack runs.

Getting off topic here, but for the record:

* The kernel license explicitly disclaims that userspace programs are
derivative works:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/COPYING#n2

* glibc is LGPL, so unless you statically link to libc (which ~nobody
does) then there isn't an issue:
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=blob;f=COPYING.LIB

* Python is not GPL at all:
https://docs.python.org/3/license.html#psf-license-agreement-for-python-release