[legal-discuss] docs licenses: current state and desired state

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Wed Mar 25 19:09:22 UTC 2015

On Mar 24, 2015, at 4:57 PM, Radcliffe, Mark <Mark.Radcliffe at dlapiper.com>
wrote:

 I am not sure that I understand the question about source/output.  Is this
code?

It is marked up text or image content that is then built from the simple
source to styled html or PDF. Generally, the OpenStack documentation
consists of:
- text that is embedded in the software code:
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova
- text that is scraped from the software code via an automated process such
as http://docs.openstack.org/cli-reference/content/
- text that is created separately from the code (but still in a git
repository with "builds" from source to output) such as
http://docs.openstack.org/openstack-ops/content/

I think that we need to keep ASL2 for code in the guides since the bylaws
require it.

Yes, for actual code snippets we plan to keep and indicate Apache 2.

However in an October 2012 board meeting they approved use of CC- by for
content.
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/15Oct2012BoardMinutes

So I'm trying to find out how to provide a consistent licensing display.

Hope that clarifies -
Thanks,
Anne