[legal-discuss] CCLA not available anywhere except the non-printable/non-downloadable esign app?

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Fri Sep 5 23:27:50 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 4:21 PM, Stefano Maffulli <stefano at openstack.org>
wrote:

> On 09/05/2014 03:23 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
> > I was trying to look at the CCLA, and there doesn't appear to be a copy
> > of it anywhere other than the e-sign form. Is that deliberate?
>
> It is somewhat deliberate but I'm happy to reconsider that.

Here's my reasoning:
- CCLAs are mostly signed by corporate lawyers, like me.
- Corporate lawyers, like me, like to print out and examine documents
before signing them. Or at least ook at them in a window that can be
properly resized/zoomed (unlike the awful, user-unfriendly Adobe widget.)
- Careful corporate lawyers *particularly* like to print out and examine
documents that are derived from other documents (ahem, Apache CLA), so that
they can compare them carefully to the original/source document.

Additionally, I *assume* (but can't test!) that the completed document can
be downloaded; if that's not the case, you should fix that, since being
able to retain a copy for your own records is a requirement for a valid
contract in some jurisdictions (arguably including California).

> If not,
> > can it be posted somewhere in a downloadable/printable-for-review format?
>
> I'll email it to you offlist, while this conversation is settled.

Thanks!
Luis

> /stef
>
> --
> Ask and answer questions on https://ask.openstack.org

Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6810

*This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*