[legal-discuss] CCLA not available anywhere except the non-printable/non-downloadable esign app?

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri Sep 5 23:54:54 UTC 2014

On 09/05/2014 04:27 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
> Here's my reasoning:
> - CCLAs are mostly signed by corporate lawyers, like me.
> - Corporate lawyers, like me, like to print out and examine documents
> before signing them. Or at least ook at them in a window that can be
> properly resized/zoomed (unlike the awful, user-unfriendly Adobe widget.)
> - Careful corporate lawyers *particularly* like to print out and examine
> documents that are derived from other documents (ahem, Apache CLA), so
> that they can compare them carefully to the original/source document.

Totally understood, in fact these requests are not uncommon.

My reasoning is that I prefer to engage with corporate lawyers
immediately before they go off on their own. Since we receive few
requests, I prefer to know who is interested in signing it and help them
out, with the CCLA and all the other complex things related to OpenStack.

Probably I should make it more accessible by providing a request form,
that would make it less cumbersome for counsels. Would that help?

> Additionally, I *assume* (but can't test!) that the completed document
> can be downloaded; if that's not the case, you should fix that, since
> being able to retain a copy for your own records is a requirement for a
> valid contract in some jurisdictions (arguably including California).

Yes, the signed agreement can be downloaded.

.stef