[legal-discuss] [openstack-dev] [Marconi] Why is marconi a queue implementation vs a provisioning API?

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 08:22:12 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-03-20 at 07:37 +0400, Monty Taylor wrote:
> Ianal, but I know there are some lawyers out there who are concerned
> that the mechanism of attachment is vague.

AFAICT, you're proxying some concerns from others at HP here? At least,
that's the way I've understood the issue each time it has been raised
since it came up with Ceilometer and MongoDB - "some people at HP have
some concerns about AGPLv3 and we'd never deploy MongoDB".

I'm no fan (personally) of AGPLv3, but taking a stance that there must
be a way of deploying OpenStack in production without requiring any
AGPLv3 code to be deployed is a significant policy decision for the
project and I don't think we've ever articulated the reasons clearly for
it.

I've added a stub entry to the legal issues FAQ:

  https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LegalIssuesFAQ#Licensing_of_non-library_dependencies

Can we get it fleshed out with more specifics?

Thanks,
Mark.