[legal-discuss] [openstack-dev] [Marconi] Why is marconi a queue implementation vs a provisioning API?

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 13:22:30 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 08:22:12AM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> I'm no fan (personally) of AGPLv3, but taking a stance that there must
> be a way of deploying OpenStack in production without requiring any
> AGPLv3 code to be deployed is a significant policy decision for the
> project and I don't think we've ever articulated the reasons clearly for
> it.

Such a policy would be unprecedented for any Apache License 2.0
project as far as I am aware. For comparisons look at the legal
policies of the Apache Software Foundation, which don't go this far.

I don't really care about the answer (as long as it doesn't create
technical problems for OpenStack development and deployment -- unclear
to me here) but I do care about the stated rationale. If the rationale
is limited to something like 'the reality is that some users and
Foundation members are sufficiently risk averse about AGPL that we
feel we need to adopt this policy', so be it.

- RF