[legal-discuss] need some advise on publicizing a translated version of openstack document.

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Thu Jul 17 14:48:47 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 02:29:33PM +0900, Jaesuk Ahn wrote:
> Tom,
>
> Thanks for helping here.
> Just curious about your reference.
> If we use a word “some”, should there be somewhere that has a definition of
> “some”?
>
> For example, something like..  a scope of “some” in this statement refer to
> “trademark agreement on using openstack logo”.

The phrase "Some rights reserved" is a catchphrase of Creative
Commons, a play on the ancient "All rights reserved" which is still
commonly seen in copyright notices today. (I don't think I've seen
"Some rights reserved" in a legal notice before, apart from use of
Creative Commons 'license buttons'.) Creative Commons has used "Some
rights reserved" to signify that Creative Commons licenses grant a
degree of permission traditionally not granted by most content
copyright holders.

If the "some" means anything there it refers to the specific text of
CC BY 3.0, which actually doesn't mention trademarks at all other than
those of Creative Commons. CC BY 4.0 actually specifies that trademark
rights are not licensed under the Creative Commons license, which is a
useful clarification.

RF