[legal-discuss] Copyright statements in source

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Tue Jan 21 19:46:29 UTC 2014

On 01/21/2014 02:12 PM, Richard Fontana wrote:
> Not sure what to suggest beyond whatever I said in the thread several
> months ago. Different open source projects have adopted wildly
> different approaches to this issue, and with certain exceptions it's
> hard to say that any one of the more common ones are more legally
> correct than the others. Maybe you could propose a specific suggestion
> for how OpenStack might consistently deal with this in a way that
> avoids the problem you believe exists?

I would suggest language like what you see here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x/server/vhost.c

So, perhaps:

/* Licensed to the OpenStack Foundation under one or more
  * contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
  * this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
  * The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
  * (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
  * the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
  *
  *     http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

If you want detailed copyright information on any given file `git blame`
gives it to you. It's unclear to me why someone is concerned about that,
given that they're contributing their changes to a project licensed
under the Apache License, but I expect that people have various reasons
or perceived reasons.

To me, the large social and/or community impact of per-author
per-company copyright statements in files *far* outweigh the (largely
imaginary) legal benefit of doing it.

Rich Bowen - rbowen at redhat.com
OpenStack Community Liaison
http://openstack.redhat.com/