[legal-discuss] Trivial contributions and CLAs

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 14:21:28 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 5:16 PM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-04-22 at 15:28 +0000, Radcliffe, Mark wrote:
> > Thanks.  The more critical issue is that we need to be sensitive to
> > our users to ensure that we have the right necessary to include the
> > "trivial contribution" in OpenStack under the Apache license. If the
> > "trivial contribution" is code is likely to be copyrightable (a very
> > low standard).  All projects require a license to the code, even if
> > they choose to use the project "license" as the license (such as
> > Linux).
>
> I don't feel I can explain to contributors why they need to do anything
> other than license the code (to the world) under the Apache License in
> order for the contribution to be included in OpenStack under the Apache
> License.

How do authors contribute patches through Launchpad explicitly under the
Apache License? I'd like this to be clearly documented as an alternative to
the CLA section on https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/How_To_Contribute so
that we can ask authors to simply copy/paste a licensing statement into
Launchpad (or whatever it takes), and then we can carry the patch through
gerrit on their behalf.

I'd rather avoid needing to consider some subjective measure of
"triviality," especially if authors are willing/able to license their
patches as OpenStack requires outside of the CLA.