[legal-discuss] Trivial contributions and CLAs

Alice King alice at alicelkingpc.com
Wed Apr 23 00:55:15 UTC 2014

Thank you Richard.  That helps put it in perspective.

The process needs to permit a trusted person to exercise discretion in edge
cases like this.  That is true of every process involving human interaction.
The Foundation Bylaws contemplate the Board giving this kind of edge-case
discretion to the Executive Director.

I don't see that there is much risk around intellectual property in this
kind of contribution.  Who would make a claim?  There is a secondary risk
that the project is viewed as being lax on IP issues generally, which would
scare off some users.  I think this is also unlikely.  My impression is that
the project is viewed as exercising an abundance of caution.

The kind of participation represented by this contribution is valuable.
Reward significantly outweighs risk.

Still on the list and felt like chiming in!

Alice