[legal-discuss] [Fwd: [openstack-dev] Call for a clear COPYRIGHT-HOLDERS file in all OpenStack projects (and [trove] python-troveclient_0.1.4-1_amd64.changes REJECTED)]

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Oct 21 16:05:03 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-21 10:23:41 -0400 (-0400), Richard Fontana wrote:
[...]
> One of the suggestions in the thread made by someone seemed to be
> to make some automated mapping between an author and an affiliated
> organization, but this will not necessarily yield a correct
> identification of the copyright holder (that is true, for example,
> in a number of cases involving Red Hat employees).

That was me pontificating on some possible ways to extract the
requested information, mostly pointing out that it would be
complicated to implement and still not entirely accurate. One of my
concerns there was with regard to contributors with concurrent
multiple affiliations... but out of curiosity what's the copyright
holder identification concern specific to Red Hat employees? Are
their contributions not a work for hire (so that they're counted as
independent contributors for the sake of copyright assignment)?
--
Jeremy Stanley