[legal-discuss] [Fwd: [openstack-dev] Call for a clear COPYRIGHT-HOLDERS file in all OpenStack projects (and [trove] python-troveclient_0.1.4-1_amd64.changes REJECTED)]

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Mon Oct 21 14:23:41 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 08:17:19AM +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Full thread here:
>
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-October/thread.html#16980

cc'ing Thomas Goirand.

I have a feeling something is being lost in the translation from
Debian to OpenStack, but I'm not sure. I've read the full thread but
do not understand the issue.

If Debian were to insist on a complete list of all copyright holders
for each of its packages, it would have to shut itself down. If there
is a Debian packaging requirement that requires a package maintainer
to collect all identified copyright holders into a single file, that
is the package maintainer's responsibility.

One of the suggestions in the thread made by someone seemed to be to
make some automated mapping between an author and an affiliated
organization, but this will not necessarily yield a correct
identification of the copyright holder (that is true, for example, in
a number of cases involving Red Hat employees).

 - Richard