[legal-discuss] Legal Concerns Over Project Names

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Wed Jun 19 16:58:40 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 11:37:50AM -0500, Jonathan Bryce wrote:
> On Jun 19, 2013, at 5:09 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > It's become pretty apparent that we need good guidance for people on
> > this issue:
> >
> > https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LegalIssuesFAQ#Legal_Concerns_Over_Project_Names
> >
> > I'm reluctant to attempt to draft any such guidance, but I assume it at
> > least begins with "talk to the project's PTL privately and don't raise
> > the issue on a public forum".
>
> The Foundation staff should be brought in as well. First contact could be either PTL or a Foundation staff member, but both need to be involved.

What process (if there is one single one) is in place today to deal
with project name changes? I was looking at openstack-dev archives for
this month and I see three references to project renaming. In one case
it appears that the Foundation's lawyers approved 'Trove' (and that
such approval is considered authoritative), but it is not clear who
was responsible for what in the other two cases.

 - RF