[OpenStack-DefCore] Suggestion for Meeting with DefCore on Process

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Mar 30 09:06:29 UTC 2015

Rob Hirschfeld wrote:
> On 03/26/2015 05:55 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> The revised by-laws are still not on the website, but if I remember
>> correctly the new wording, the Technical Committee and the Board of
>> Directors just need to agree on the procedure for changing the
>> contents of the "OpenStack TC Approved Release", in particular changes
>> that would remove software that is used in Trademark Designated
>> OpenStack Software. I don't remember we have to formally approve the
>> Defcore process itself ?
>
> My reading was that it did require joint approval.  I'd be happy to be
> shown otherwise.

Here is the new wording:

<< The Technical Committee and the Board of Directors shall agree on a
written procedure to coordinate the effect of changes in the method of
determining the Trademark Designated OpenStack Software and changes in
the OpenStack TC Approved Release which delete all or part of the
Trademark Designated OpenStack Software ("Coordination Procedures"). >>

Legalese is hard :)

The latter is pretty clear -- we need to agree on the procedure to
follow when removing projects used in a trademark license program from
the "TC-approved release". I suspect it will boil down to sufficient
notification time (mark deprecated) to give time for everyone to catch
up. I proposed to Alan that we discuss that topic at the joint meeting
in Vancouver.

The former is slightly less clearer to me: we should agree on a written
procedure to coordinate the effect of "changes in the method of
determining the Trademark Designated OpenStack Software". That might
mean we need to write a procedure on how to approve future changes in
the Defcore process. That procedure might end up requiring that any
Defcore process change must be joint-approved by the TC and Board (or
not). My reading is that we need to agree on the procedure first...

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)