[Women-of-openstack] Meetings - IRC?

Kendall Nelson kennelson11 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 23:17:15 UTC 2017

I fully support this move for several reasons:

1. The reasons Amy mentioned- in particular the Four Opens [1]. Currently,
our meetings aren't logged and there isn't any way to refer back except
with the etherpads- assuming someone was taking notes which isn't
guaranteed. Logs would help with planning events and knowing who took what
action item.

2. Phoneccall conversations are much more difficult for people who's first
language isn't English. Phone calls are also much more difficult for people
in timezones other than +/- 5 hours of the timezone the call is being held
in. More to that point- we should alternate IRC meeting times one more for
APAC and one more for US/Europe.

3. IRC meetings make it easier for multitasking. Personally, I find myself
in loud busy places quite often and don't want to join in/ go off mute for
fear of the loud background noise. I am however always on IRC and its easy
to respond in a meeting while in a loud airport or on public transit.

4. I don't know about you all, but speaking up on the phone can be hard
because I always feel like I am talking over someone or interrupting
someone. It's much easier to send a message in a meeting and not feel like
I am railroading over someone.

5. In talking to people at the Women of OpenStack Happy Hour at the PTG but
don't join in the meetings, the most common reason I heard was that they
hated that the meetings were on the phone and then started to list reasons
1-4 in various orders. This was in the range of a half a dozen to a dozen
women that would be involved more if they didn't have to call in.

For people that don't know how to get started with IRC there are two
1. Webrowser like IRC cloud
2. IRC Client [2]

If you have any issues, please reply to this thread and I would be happy to
help- as I am sure many others would be as well :)

If you need some words of encouragement getting started, I wrote this
SuperUser Article about IRC a while back[3].

Thanks Amy for getting this thread going, you have my +2 :)

-Kendall Nelson (diablo_rojo)

[1] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/opens.html
[2] https://docs.openstack.org/upstream-training/irc.html
[3] http://superuser.openstack.org/articles/irc-mishaps/