[Women-of-openstack] IRC channel followup from working breakfast.

Rainya Mosher rainya.mosher at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 23:42:59 UTC 2015

+1 for keeping it as open and accessible as possible. I have said in the
past how a room full of women is no more diverse than a room full of men,
though I do understand the desire to have groups of all one gender or the
other in certain situations. Given the relatively few number of women in
tech and how we were not even 10% of the Vancouver summit population, we
need as many advocates as we can find to take up the cause of diversity of
thought through different genders and cultures. Making it as simple as
possibly to our male and female advocates and champions to find us and
interact with us seems like a great start.

As for trolling, I do worry about it, but also don't like making decisions
based on what might happen. Additional administrative overhead won't stop
the trolls and it adds extra work to the channel leaders. In fact, having
such a policy could actually attract more trolls. If they know there is an
open channel that makes you agree to something to stay, they might seek it
out for a cheap thrill knowing they can get a reaction easily.

#openstack-opw makes a lot of sense to keep it simple. We could also
consider -wos (*W*omen [of] *O*pen*S*tack, acryonymFinder
<http://www.acronymfinder.com/WOS.html>), but I do love -woo!

Merrian-Webster defines *woo* as "to try to attract (someone, such as a
customer, voter, worker, etc.) : to attempt to persuade (someone) to buy
something from you, vote for you, work for you, etc." Seems like part of
our goal might be to attract and persuade more women to join the community?

In the Clifton StrengthsFinder
<http://www.gallup.com/businessjournal/721/woo.aspx>, "WOO" is an acronym
for "winning others over" and is all about getting to know people and
making sure strangers don't remain so for long. I think it is also very
fitting for Women of OpenStack.

(Disclaimer, WOO is in my top 10 strengths so I think it's just peachy!)

Rainya
210.316.5065
*Not all of us can save the world. Some of us have to make it worth saving.
- RFM*