[User-committee] COMING SOON! NEW COMMUNITY PORTAL!

MCCABE, JAMEY A jm6819 at att.com
Mon Oct 16 14:49:10 UTC 2017

   - What is the first thing you should do try OpenStack?
I think as a new developer or operator but interested in Community, I would want to see a demo of OpenStack as used in a community setting.  I suppose for Operators this would mean more of a simple public cloud put up to support a local community on just a few pieces of hardware.  For a developer, perhaps the same though the context might be more for a hackathon or a bug fix meetup.
   - How can you build a proof of concept?
Yes, having the steps to build out your own community instance of OpenStack would be encouraging to take that next step.  I'm actually not sure as I write this if I would be more interested to host my own or if there was a place (OpenStack's own Infra) where I could have my own local community sandbox.  I guess having both of these options addressed might be a good thing.
   - Reading documentation or watching relevant summit videos
If there was a series fo getting started videos I would likely watch and then likely forward to my other contacts who I wanted to join me.  Might also be useful to have a video or 2 and suggested discussion points for a first community meetup.
   - Reporting bugs
No harm but not for me likely to be the first reason I visit this page.  Having the link to being a developer and fixing your first bug as well as link to joining the doc team and maintaining on your first documentation or translation contribution would be more encouraging.
   - Grabbing tools from osops
   - Participating in the Forum and SIGs
Yes, Videos and steps to do this.  Important to start with setting up IRC handle and joining your first IRC meeting and joining and responding to your first DL-mail posting.
   - etc...
Would like what the full community looks like and how a local community fits into the bigger community.
Would like a place to read and then post looking to join or start a local community.
Would like to have the link  to explanations and Demo's of various configs of OpenStack that a local community might want to try (e.g. simple compute, distributed data, big data, scientific compute)