[User-committee] Unanswered Requirements Proposal Meeting

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue May 23 13:40:57 UTC 2017

Melvin Hillsman wrote:
> Thank you all who were able to attend the Forum session on unanswered
> requirements. Based our discussion we decided to draft up a proposal for
> SIGs (special interest groups)[1] along with a governance model based
> off draft by UC for teams/wgs [2] whose outputs would follow a workflow
> proposed by the product working group (team)[3]. Proposals are tracked
> via the proposed feature tracker[4] and work via storyboard[5].
>
> Can we get together to ensure that we continue on the momentum of the
> discussion(s) during the Forum and hash out any further items around the
> proposal and get it to the mailing lists for feedback from the community?[6]

Thanks for pushing this, Melvin! Just replied to the Doodle poll.

On the workgroup/SIG side, I think we need to be careful not to put too
many procedural barriers preventing work to be organically done (for
example, force a need to have a workgroup blessed before it can do
anything).

My preferred approach would be to keep TC-driven project teams (for
upstream development) and UC-driven workgroups (for subgroups working on
UC-driven initiatives, like Ops-tags or the AUC recognition). We would
create a "SIG" concept for everything else (including API WG or Large
deployments WG) that just requires to be listed on a wiki page to exist.

That way for things that are purely TC/upstream or UC/downstream work
we'd still keep our teams (with our own approval process), but we would
have an organic and open process for any other group wanting to get
together to do work on OpenStack. The wiki page would force them to
provide basic information (team scope, contact, meeting point...) but
would avoid a costly blessing by a joint TC/UC committee.

That lightweight approach would allow for long-term teams (API SIG,
Packaging SIG, Large deployments SIG, Telco SIG), or more tactical
pop-up teams that would get dissolved once their objective is reached
(Hierarchical Quotas SIG, Logging SIG). We would of course still retain
the power to dissolve a SIG that is out of scope or abandoned (ask for
forgiveness rather than ask for permission).

What do you think ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)