[User-committee] OpenStack User Committee sessions wrap up - Barcelona

Shilla Saebi shilla.saebi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 18:55:35 UTC 2016

Hola OpenStack User Community,

As you may be aware, the OpenStack summit kicked off in Barcelona last
week, and we had a couple of UC sessions. It was wonderful to have members
from various working groups sitting face to face in a room having the
discussions.

Below are the links to the session details and Etherpad links:
User Committee Session
<https://www.openstack.org/summit/barcelona-2016/summit-schedule/events/16869/user-commitee-session>

Etherpad from the session: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/BCN-UC

Efficiency of Working Groups
<https://www.openstack.org/summit/barcelona-2016/summit-schedule/events/16899/efficiency-of-working-groups-working-together-to-advance-the-community-leadership-of-the-user-committee>
Etherpad from the session: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/BCN-WGS

*Overall Discussions*
Current Workgroup Guidelines
<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/UserCommittee#Working_Groups_and_Teams>
How to take advantage of forum deck
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1fhHqmR9lKyayYOpop4Uu_xnhPwFOoCWAgEAxTU2JAHA/edit?ts=580854d4>
used in board presentation
Working groups taking part in forum planning

*Deliverables*
We proposed to have at least five members in the UC with a rotating
election cycle with a 2 year consecutive term limit, with voting done by
AUC members.
Criteria - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_yCSDGnhIbzcXFENjBOeUtqRFk/view
Decide on who will be the UC Chair - The chair will act as a liaison with
the TC
Clearer guidance around communication (both across working groups, and with
the rest of the OpenStack community)
Better transparency/regular update announcements around goals and progress
for each groups
Working groups must send a member to the user committee meeting to report
on activities
Define the operational method and expectations for Work Groups

*Additional Notes*
UC will need to define the approach for participating in the forum in
Boston.
How do we work as a community of work groups to be effective in bringing
requirements and the voice of Operators and End-Users to PTLs, Cores and
lead developers?
How do we influence the definition of the sessions for the forum?
How do we track the progress or action on the requirements/feedback given
in the forum?
2 new working groups have formed - IOT and LCOO
<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LCOO>
Review the document with the by-laws changes: http://opsgui.de/OSUC2016
UC Github repo: https://github.com/openstack/governance-uc

Edgar Magana and Jonathan Proulx also proposed the bylaw changes during the
OpenStack Board of Directors meeting. They proposed that UC members will be
elected instead of appointed. AUC will have the voting rights and that the
UC increases the number of members from 3 to 5 members. They also brought
up the formal recognition of Active User Contributors (AUC).

The proposal can be found here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QmLOeseAkjBWM_TXsUeKBErNaSHnuZp81II0T71ARfo/edit?usp=sharing>
.

All feedback collected during the UC session on Wednesday has already been
included in the google doc, and all comments are still welcome. To
summarize, the User Committee (UC) will have a similar organizational
structure to the Technical Committee (TC), with a different mission and
goals.To summarize, the User Committee (UC) will have a similar
organizational structure to the Technical Committee (TC), with a different
mission and goals. More details
<http://governance.openstack.org/uc/reference/charter.html>

Feel free to send us any questions or comments you may have. Thank you!

Shilla, Edgar, Jonathan
OpenStack User Committee