[User-committee] [Product] User Committee Mailing List Usage

Christopher Aedo doc at aedo.net
Fri Oct 28 12:47:37 UTC 2016

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Kenny Johnston <kenny at kencjohnston.com> wrote:
> There seems to be mixed usage of mailing lists within UC groups with some
> running their own independent mailing list (Enterprise, Product Work Group)
> and others using the [GROUP] structure in the subject line to the
> user-committee list.
>
> Given the [openstack-dev] list benefits of shared information would it be
> possible to create an [openstack-user] list and migrate the Enterprise,
> Product Work Group and non-UC specific conversations there? We could leave
> it up to the teams on if they choose to migrate.
>
> Please educate me if this has been discussed before my time. :)
>
> Thanks!

Thank you for bringing this up.  I'm strongly in favor of bringing all
the working group communication to one list and always including the
group in brackets on the subject line.  As you pointed out, this has
worked well for the dev list for a very long time.  Improving
communication across all the working groups is one thing I plan to
work on in the months to come, and calling this out is a great first
step.  Getting all the working groups to discuss their
issues/plans/progress on the same mailing list would bare tremendous
benefit.

I would actually go further than you suggest, and make communicating
via the User Committee mailing list a requirement for every working
group.  Imagine how much easier cross-WG coordination would be if we
were all on one list and made a habit of communicating on the list
first (vs. waiting for weekly meetings to discuss issues).  The more
conversations we all have in the open, the more effective our groups
will become.

-Christopher