[User-committee] "First App" motivations, audiences, and goals

Christopher Aedo doc at aedo.net
Thu May 26 23:39:27 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 10:47 AM, Brian Curtin <brian at python.org> wrote:
> [...]
> This guide is for experienced software developers who want to deploy
> applications to OpenStack clouds.
>
> If you are familiar with OpenStack but have not created a cloud
> application in general or an OpenStack application in particular, this
> section teaches you how to program with OpenStack components.
> """
>
> Someone who is experienced is more than likely coming into this with
> knowledge of a configuration management or deployment tool, and they
> leave without a better handle on that situation as it pertains to
> OpenStack. Someone who hasn't created a cloud application learns more
> how they could build a deployment tool. Those two personas —
> experienced application devs but new to OpenStack, and familiar with
> OpenStack but not with building applications — are a fairly broad set
> of skills to cover. Are those accurate audiences? Are there more?
>
> My second question follows that: Given one or more of those audiences,
> what is the end goal of these guides for them? The Getting Started
> section offers the following:
>
> """
> Deploying applications in a cloud environment can be very different
> from deploying them in a traditional IT environment. This guide
> teaches you how to deploy applications on OpenStack and some best
> practices for cloud application development.
> """
>
> As an application developer, I don't leave that guide knowing any more
> about how to build my next great application to leverage what
> OpenStack offers. A quick glance at the sample application showed no
> use of OpenStack [0], and the guide showed me some lower-level stuff
> on how OpenStack's APIs can hook me up with the infrastructure needed
> to run the app. There are a few high-level general tips offered for
> building cloud applications, but nothing that really draws me into how
> applications are built to make use of OpenStack.
>
> I don't do operations stuff, but having worked on SDKs for a while
> now, the ops people I've talked to over the years are interested to
> see something like python-openstacksdk but via Ansible. Telling them
> 'here's a bunch of methods you can call to get servers' is going to be
> responded to with 'now show me a Playbook that uses openstacksdk'.
>
> The documented goals — deploy apps, provide app dev best practices —
> are approached in a way that shows OpenStack at a lower and shallower
> level than is likely productive for a first timer coming from either
> side. Since the language of an application is not necessarily tied to
> its deployment tooling, does it make sense for these guides to be
> one-language per guide? Does it make sense for deployment and
> application development to be tied together in the same guide?
>

> Overall, I would like to know more about who the guides are aimed at
> and what should be learned from them before you get people coming in
> from the various language SDK teams and start churning out the same

Brian, thanks so much for writing this.  You've stated carefully and
clearly several things I've said recently, but you've brought it all
together very eloquently.  I don't have answers, though at the Austin
summit we agreed in the App Dev Ecosystem work group to re-evaluate
our mission statement in order to get a clear understanding of what we
mean when we say "OpenStack Application".  There's also another thread
started today[1] that is relevant.  The commonality here is that we
don't have consensus around our audience or our shared terminology.

I agree that we need to improve our aim with respect to the audience
we are targeting.  In my opinion our biggest problem at this point is
that we aren't really talking to application developers; we're talking
to OpenStack developers.  We are trying to take some steps to make a
more welcoming destination for developers without requiring them to be
OpenStack experts[2] but I'm not entirely sure even this will succeed
if we aren't able to reach an audience different from those listening
today.  It would be great to continue this conversation and see if you
can help come up with some good ideas - I think you've got the right
perspective on this and really appreciate it.

I didn't have a lot to add directly, but I hope this response will
shake out a few others from some of the other folks focused on this
problem.

[1]: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/user-committee/2016-May/000901.html
[2]: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-May/095917.html