[User-committee] "First App" motivations, audiences, and goals

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at gmail.com
Fri May 27 02:27:05 UTC 2016

On 27 May 2016 at 09:39, Christopher Aedo <doc at aedo.net> wrote:
> I agree that we need to improve our aim with respect to the audience
> we are targeting.  In my opinion our biggest problem at this point is
> that we aren't really talking to application developers; we're talking
> to OpenStack developers.

I think at the moment it's more targeted to devops rather than
developers of OpenStack in particular. Anecdotally our experience of
this in the research cloud space seems to be that the only projects to
make really "cloudy" use of the OpenStack infrastructure are those
with devops type folks (who get excited about tools like Salt,
Ansible, etc) involved in the development and operation of the
service.

Surely developers wanting to build OpenStack "native" applications
should not need to touch low level stuff like Nova API? They want to
be consuming services at a level where the cloudiness is built in -
things like backend/frontend scaling and high-availability, queuing,
reliable db/table, restful blob storage. Heat ought to be as low in
the stack as is needed. Otherwise the only thing they really get from
deploying apps on OpenStack is the ability to dynamically provision
infrastructure, and we need to be moving past that as the primary
selling point. PaaS anyone?

--
Cheers,
~Blairo