[User-committee] [app] What is an App?

Christopher Aedo doc at aedo.net
Mon Jun 27 18:57:10 UTC 2016

Pardon the top-post here but what I'm seeing in this exchange is a
significant disconnect and a great example of why we're continuing to
struggle to define what an application is in the context of OpenStack.
I heard Jimmy asking for a PaaS, and Michael responding with how to
use an OpenStack environment to do some PaaS-like things.

OpenStack at it's heart is an infrastructure as a service - a way to
programatically provision resources (computers, network, storage).
Over time we've added lots of other projects on top that provide more
complicated services (load balancers, database services, etc.)  We've
also added some projects that provide a PaaS-like interface on top of
that infrastructure (murano, solum, maybe others?  Now with kubernetes
and some of the other container orchestration systems the lines are
getting more blurry.)

To bring it back to what I think Jimmy was talking about though - the
things he'd like to achieve (scaling, automatically attaching shared
storage, etc) are all things you get out of the box with most PaaS
approaches (openshift, cloud foundry, etc.)  For developers,
abstracted access to those constructs plus an ability to package and
deploy (to share) your application are the things that matter.

OpenStack doesn't provide those things in a consistent or
interoperable way.  If you're building your own cloud, you can
definitely choose which projects to bake in and maintain in order to
do this, but you can't count on that way being the same from cloud to
cloud.  I think Murano is about the only OpenStack-specific way to
handle these concerns *IF* we agree that this is what we mean when we
say "Application".  If there are other definitions of an application
we should focus on them and categorize them - I think it's the only
way we are going to get on the same page and start really reaching the
larger developer audience.

-Christopher