[User-committee] [app] What is an App?

Michael Krotscheck krotscheck at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 14:47:09 UTC 2016

Hello there, Jimmy-

It really sounds like what you are looking for is a traditional support
channel. i.e. an entity whom you are 'paying' to advocate to a community on
your behalf, often with developers. Since you're currently running on
Rackspace, you are covered under the CLA under which those resources have
been donated to the Foundation. I recommend you reach out to Thierry to get
the contact information for your account representative. I'm certain that
Rackspace would be more than happy to assist you in scaling your
applications.

That's the official "dude, we're not a support channel" response. Here's
the "I'm also an engineer" response that actually solves the problem you've
listed:

Firstly, simulated SAN failover feature (multiattach volumes) has been a
coordinated discussion between Nova, Neutron, and Cinder for several cycles
now, and it's been the subject of a whole 45 minute session at the Austin
summit. Work is currently ongoing, but there are too many moving parts that
need to land by feature freeze - in short, it's unlikely to land in Newton.
>From personal experience, Ocata's also a tossup; and that assumes the
feature lands bug free with no performance implications.

With that in mind, I personally would advise you against relying on a
cloud-specific feature like this, because it's actually a limiting factor -
you'd be restricted to a single cloud/region/zone for your DB clustering,
plus it's a version and vendor lock-in; you'd only be able to replicate in
on one zone on one particular OpenStack version.

There's plenty of alternatives. Distributed filesystems are one
(HDFS/Gluster), or the lower-level Distributed Replicated Block Device
(drbd). Also, most databases have their own replication logic included, and
while most of them were not built with cloud operations in mind, they
usually don't require much tweaking to make them perform reliably.

I hope this was helpful :)

Michael Krotscheck