[User-committee] User survey - neutron driver feedback

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Fri Jun 24 18:19:33 UTC 2016

I had some feedback regarding the Neutron driver section of the user
survey.  If there is a better place to send this feedback, please let me
know.

1) I think it's very confusing to include ML2 as an option here.  ML2 is a
framework, not a specific technology.  It's not really comparable with
anything else on the list.  I think it would make the most sense to just
remove it from the list as an option on its own.

2) "Open vSwitch" is a bit confusing as an option, as it could mean
multiple things.  To most people, it means using Neutron with the OVS ML2
plugin and the Neutron OVS agent.  However, there are several other
solutions that involve Open vSwitch itself.  OpenDaylight may be used with
Open vSwitch.  I believe Midonet uses the kernel portion of Open vSwitch,
but not userspace.  VMware NSX uses Open vSwitch.

"Neutron ML2 OVS plugin + Neutron OVS agent" is more clear, but perhaps
long.  "Neutron ML2 OVS plugin+agent" is a bit shorter?

3) I'd like to add "OVN (Open Virtual Network)" as an option.  It's a new
option for Neutron being built within the Open vSwitch community (and is
another option that includes Open vSwitch as part of the picture).

4) There are more options that could be added.  Maybe they are options and
just got grouped into "other" in the results I'm looking at.

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/neutron/stadium/sub_projects.html#official-sub-project-list

Additions could include, at least:

 - Calico
 - ONOS