[User-committee] [app] What is an App?

Michael Krotscheck krotscheck at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 18:46:14 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 11:50 AM Jimmy Mcarthur <jimmy at tipit.net> wrote:

> An example: you can't currently assign block storage to more than one VM
> at a time. This is something that I think is just sitting around as a patch
> to be approve in Neutron, but it's causing major problems for us as web
> application developers that are deploying on top of OpenStack. Basically,
> as a result of this and the lack of replication in Trove, we can't cluster.
>

> It's remarkably difficult to get integrated in IRC channels without
> knowing the lingo. Is there some suggestion from the user committee about
> where users like us could turn?

To address this specific issue: It sounds like you want to land a specific
feature in Neutron. The correct place to advocate for this is the weekly
neutron meeting. As someone who's recently landed a cross-project feature
(in 23 different projects), I can confidently say that every team is open
to - if occasionally grumpy about - unscheduled features that aren't on
their roadmap. It took me only a few questions, and quite a bit of
humility, to be given a primer on each teams' approval governance, approval
process, and roadmap feature selection.

OpenStack's governance empowers those who are willing to advocate for
themselves, as long as they are willing to back their requests with actual
code. I'm sure that Neutron would be very happy to address and shepherd any
patches you'd be willing to provide.

In regards to understanding the IRC 'lingo', I don't really know what that
could refer to. Could you clarify?

Michael Krotscheck