[User-committee] [app] What is an App?

Christopher Aedo doc at aedo.net
Wed Jul 20 23:13:40 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 3:43 PM, Sterrett, Craig
<craig.sterrett at intel.com> wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 2:48 PM, Stefano Maffulli <stefano at openstack.org> wrote:
>> On 07/20/2016 02:21 PM, Montenegro, Patricia wrote:
>>> As promised here’s the draft I propose we vote on next meeting:
>>
>> I'm glad we're using the mailing list some more, thanks for the nudge.
>>
>> I'm rewriting the definition using bullet points to make it more readable:
>>
>>         Cloud applications in the perspective of the App Ecosystem Working
>>         Group include
>>
>>           * applications built using OpenStack SDK’s or API’s; or
>>           * applications deployed atop OpenStack using Heat, Murano, or
>>             3rd party deployment/management tools; or
>>
>> (this includes ansible, puppet, chef, etc, correct?)
>>
>>           * applications running within containers, or PaaS solution
>>             atop OpenStack.
>>
>> This is last part I am not convinced about.
>>
>> PaaS on top of OpenStack is PaaS, traditionally has been outside of
>> OpenStack scope. CloudFoundry or OpenShift or k8s or the next thing are
>> *applications* for OpenStack, and OpenStack should serve them, not what
>> runs on top of them (on top of OpenStack).
>>
>> I fear we get the scope of this group too wide if we define "OpenStack
>> Applications" as applications that run on CloudFoundry or Docker Swarm.
>>
>> Other thoughts?
> Yes to "(this includes ansible, puppet, chef, etc, correct?)"
> I don't know if we can put in sample names because I don't feel like we want to promote one over the other since they are not OpenStack products, but if people think it's OK, then lets add some.
>
> I personally feel like we need to include the 3rd bullet, for PaaS/containers, because it's such a hot topic, just look at how many of the talks in Austin were Kubernetes, Docker, etc.  I don't know how much we will do, or can do to support apps on top of those solutions, but personally I feel like we need to at least mention them.

Thank you Patricia and Craig for putting this together!

I agree with Stefano to a degree on this.  The third bullet seems too
wide to me since it kind of skips an abstraction layer (at least the
way I'm thinking about this).  I also agree that we need to cover the
containers and PaaS as well though.  What about shortening it to:

* PaaS and container solutions running atop OpenStack

That's clearer to me, in that we're still considering the concepts of
container solutions (like kubernetes) and PaaS solutions but putting
the focus at that layer rather than what runs above them?  Then we're
still talking about the things that touch OpenStack so it's consistent
with the other bullet.

-Christopher