[User-committee] app dev on-boarding experience report (was Re: Reminder 4:00PST OpenStack APP ECOSYSTEM WORKING GROUP Etherpad for January 11, 2016 Meeting)

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Tue Jan 12 18:49:45 UTC 2016

On 01/12/2016 12:42 AM, David F Flanders wrote:
> ​I just wanted to give a shout-out to some excellent work done by the
> Intel team to compare the on-boarding of app developers to various
> cloud platforms
> <https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1owWrAtP8vkgTYcd9Tvgyhcv-YHBP2Fs-rr0FV1T-khY/edit#slide=id.gf780219d1_0_121>.

Indeed, Marcela and her colleague did a great job. Not only the report
is awesome but the publication of the script[1] they followed to run the
analysis is scientifically admirable. Kudos!

The meeting yesterday highlighted one major problem in the comparison:
while there is 1 AWS, 1 Google Compute, 1 Azure, there are many
OpenStack clouds. And each OpenStack cloud out there is a snowflake, and
I'm not sure DefCore can do something about it.

During the meeting I suggested to look into trystack as one public cloud
to test developer experience (or at least running the first app demo)
but after sleeping on it, I'm not convinced that would be a good
approach... First, trystack would have to become more of a managed
project as last time I checked, it's run by volunteers with very limited
time and API access is disabled.

Second and more importantly, TryStack would require someone to make
decisions that will end up influencing how other OpenStack public clouds
will have to run.  Let's imagine that TryStack as the default,
successful, hugely popular playground for app developers: the
configuration options of TryStack will become the options expected by
app developers. For example, assume TryStack only offers IPv6 to virtual
machines and offers Trove and Heat. Simple things like that would
immediately get into DefCore territory... requiring careful threading
among corporate members. This would slow things down, probably to a pace
that is not useful to create an app developers ecosystem.

I don't have an answer... an easy solution is for the report not to
include any OpenStack cloud in the radar chart. The report would be very
useful for OpenStack product owners to complete the charts with their
own OpenStack products. And the OpenStack community could use it to
drive decisions on the community owned properties, including trystack
(as just another public cloud) and the app developer portal to be built...

> Please do add further questions/insights to the meeting etherpad:
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/2016_Jan11_App_Ecosystem_Workgroup

I find etherpads hard to find once the meeting ends, they can't be
searched and are not indexed by search engines. They should be
considered necessary evil to take temporary notes in search of a
permanent home.

Please consider using email more for discussions.

/stef

[2]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cQns8vT-Qt5qz-w7gkT2Z9ZgoiPvSeMGUPkLS10d_Qs/edit